Canon EOS 100D has long suggested that another direction to rivaling mirrorless records from Nikon, Sony designs, Olympus and Panasonic lay in the miniaturization of its acquainted SLR design. With the statement of the EOS 100D / Insurgent SL1, Canon has set its credit cards on the desk. Charged as ‘the world’s tiniest, least heavy APS-C DSLR’, the Insurgent SL1 unabashedly combines the Rebel-series’ DSLR efficient outline with an remarkably little body.
Thanks to a downsizing of inner elements that has lead in a compact sized shutter procedure, slimmer indicator component and smaller-footprint routine panel, the Insurgent SL1 is really a lot less heavy and more compact compared to the co-announced Insurgent T5i, while providing the same 18MP quality, DIGIC 5 processer and, presumably picture quality. The Insurgent SL1 is, in fact, perfectly the tiniest DSLR we’ve yet seen, and not so far off ‘SLR-style’ mirrorless designs such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5.
Canon EOS 100D Key Features
- Small form aspect DSLR with a weight of 400g/14oz.
- 18MP APS-C indicator with 14-bit DIGIC 5 processor
- ‘Hybrid CMOS AF II’ program with 80% structure coverage
- Continuous auto-focus in film method with topic tracking
- ISO 100-12800 (expandable to ISO 25600)
- 4 fps ongoing shooting
- 1080/30p videos, monaural mic (stereo feedback jack)
- 3-inch set capacitive touch-screen (same as EOS M)
- 9 point AF (central indicator is cross-type)
- ‘Creative Filters’ image-processing manages, previewed stay on-screen
Canon EOS 100D Body and Design
Physical dimension despite, the Insurgent SL1’s style will be instantly acquainted to anyone who’s used an entry-level Cannon SLR over the last few years. The digital camera’s metal and thermoplastic material body system development seems properly strong in your hands. A distinctive handgrip is deep enough to provide a firm hold of you, and there’s also the acquainted curved thumbs pad along the right part of you.
All of the key capturing manages you’d anticipate in an entry-level Insurgent sequence are present: concentrate factor selection and visibility secure, along with devoted ISO, viAsibility settlement and depth-of-field review control buttons. The Q selection and SET option discuss a key and are enclosed by a 4-way operator. Its online important factors no longer have features allocated to them: instead all additional choices are utilized via the on-screen ‘Q’ board.
- The EOS Insurgent SL1 is built around edition II of The canon eos 18MP ‘Hybrid CMOS’ indicator, which has p devoted to providing stage recognition auto-focus in stay perspective and movie method. On the SL1 this concentrate ability expands to cover 80% of the sensor’s picture area. The indicator is combined with The canon eos DIGIC 5 handling engine.
- The Insurgent SL1’s pop-up display has a guide number of 9.4m, the same as the Insurgent T3/1100D, but less highly effective than the device on the T5i. Compared with the T5i’s device, this display cannot easily induce exterior Speedlites. You can set display visibility settlement of +/- 2 EV. Flash synchronize can be set at up to 1/200 sec. and when linking an exterior Speedlite to the digital camera’s hotshoe, display configurations can be modified via the back LCD display.
- Openings for both a monaural mic (top) and presenter are situated on the far remaining of the digital camera’s top dish.
- The on/off change has a third position which enables movie history method. The method switch has symbols equally spread around its border and rotates 360 levels without the hard stop discovered on earlier Rebel-series models. Six field ways are situated under the SCN symbol.
- On the Insurgent SL1, The canon eos acquainted AF factor and AF/AE secure control buttons are top to bottom organized, seated along the far right edge of you body system. The control buttons also serve as picture zoom manages during play-back method.
- The movie history key is placed on the digital camera’s neck for easy function by your thumbs. It only triggers documenting when the on / off change is set to video; in pictures method it’s used to go in and out stay perspective.
- The Q selection and ‘Set’ performance discuss the same key, which is enclosed by a 4-way operator that can be used to get around on-screen choices and choices. The remove key has a concave style that inhibits random function. To the right of this key you can see the credit cards access light which indicates data being written to the SD cards. The top area of you has a self-timer light, that’s also used used to reduce the red-eye effect in display photos.
- The little black rectangular shape underneath the hot shoes is a vicinity indicator that instantly changes off the back display when you’re using the viewfinder.
- Located along the part of the lens neck is the lens launch and below it the depth-of-field review key.
- An infra-red indicator is placed on the hand hold so that you can be activated slightly using the optionally available Distant Controller RC-6 device.
- The digital camera’s information are situated behind a rubberized flap on the remaining part of you. HDMI and USB slots sit below a 3.5mm radio stations system mic feedback and a port for a cabled remote launch.
- The battery power and SD cards go into a section on the bottom of you. The Insurgent SL1 uses the same 5.94Wh (7.2V 825mAh) LP-E12 battery power presented with the EOS M.
- The tripod outlet is placed in-line with the center of the lens. The digital camera’s small dimension means it’s fairly close to the bottom section door, so an inexpensive to be able to change either cards or battery power with you on a full-size tripod dish.
Canon EOS 100D Images Quality
All of the example pictures in this evaluation were taken using the 18 mega-pixel Outstanding JPEG establishing, which gives an regular image dimension around 6Mb. During evaluation, the Canon EOS 100D created pictures of the finest high quality. Disturbance managing is great considering the pixel solidity. Capturing RAW is advisable if you plan on taking plenty of high-ISO photos, as you can get better details with less chroma noise than by shooting JPEG. As regards the colors, we have found them to be a little on the boring side, though this is nothing you can’t modify in-camera, by way of remodelling the available Image Designs or developing your own. The digital camera’s Emphasize Overall tone Concern method permitted us to maintain more highlight details in contrasty moments than would otherwise be possible without underexposing the midtones and the dark areas. The built-in display triggered no red-eye, and night picture came out very well. Overall, a really excellent displaying.
ISO understanding can be set between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 in full-stop amounts, and a enhanced establishing of ISO 25600 is also available. Here are some 100% plants which display the noise stages for each ISO establishing, with JPEG on the remaining and the RAW comparative on the right.
Computer file Quality
The Canon EOS 100D has 2 different JPEG file top quality configurations available, such as Excellent and Normal, with Excellent being the excellent top quality option. Here are two 100% plants which show the common of the two choices.
The out-of-camera JPEGs are quite smooth and at the common improving establishing and benefit from some further improving in a program like Adobe Adobe photoshop. You can also change the in-camera improving level to fit your preferences via the Image Style choices.
The display configurations on the EOS 100D are Automatic, Guide Flash On/Off, and Red-Eye Decrease. These photos of a white colored wall were taken far away of 1m.
Canon Image Manages are predetermined mixtures of different sharpness, comparison, vividness and color overall tone configurations. The available Image Manages are proven below in the following sequence, which shows the variations. You can modify these Image Manages wish, and there are also User Described designs so that you can create your own look.
Essentially a more excessive edition of the well-established Image Styles, Innovative Automatic offers nine choices such as Standard, Stunning, Soft, Warm, Extreme, Awesome, Lighter, Deeper and Black and white, all of which can be interactively improved to fit your flavor.
Canon EOS 100D Specifications
|MSRP||$799.99/£799 with 18-55mm STM|
|Body type||Compact SLR|
|Body material||Aluminium alloy and polycarbonate resin with carbon and glass fiber|
|Max resolution||5184 x 3456|
|Other resolutions||5184 x 2912, 4608 x 3456,3456 x 3456, 3456 x 2304, 3456 x 1944, 3072 x 2304, 2592 x 1728, 2592 x 1456, 2304 x 1728, 2304 x 2304, 1920 x 1280, 1920 x 1080, 1728 x 1728, 1696 x 1280, 1280 x 1280, 720 x 480, 720 x 400, 640 x 480, 480 x 480|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||18 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||19 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (22.3 x 14.9 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Color filter array||RGB Color Filter Array|
|ISO||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 (25600 with boost)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||25600|
|White balance presets||6|
|Custom white balance||Yes (1)|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||by built-in flash|
|Lens mount||Canon EF/EF-S|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|Flash range||9.40 m|
|External flash||Yes (via Hot-shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-eye|
|Flash X sync speed||1/200 sec|
|Continuous drive||4.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2s, 10s+remote, 10s + continuous shots 2-10))|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±2 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|WB Bracketing||Yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (30, 25, 24 fps), 1280 x 720 (60, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (30, 25 fps)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (HDMI mini)|
|Remote control||Yes (RC-6)|
|Battery description||Lithium-Ion LP-E12 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||380|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||407 g (0.90 lb / 14.36 oz)|
|Dimensions||117 x 91 x 69 mm (4.61 x 3.58 x 2.72″)|
|GPS notes||via GPE2|